• The Gift Auction for Project Graduation will take place on April 14th at 4:00 pm.

• Make-up snow days will be 3/30 and 6/22, and will operate on a half-day schedule.

• No School April 2 - 6. Happy Spring Break!

John F. Kennedy Blood Drive

Aayushi Patel, Fall Reporter

The human body, on average, contains 10 pints of blood—blood that cannot be artificially created or replaced by alternative substances. When a patient is in dire need, the only way they can receive the blood necessary to survive is from a blood bank that is supplied solely by donations. Donating a single pint of blood can save up to three lives, a statistic that many people can contribute to with ease.

John F. Kennedy Memorial High School had just this idea in mind when they held their seventh annual blood drive on November 30, 2017. In its very own gymnasium, JFK collaborated with the Central Jersey Blood Center throughout the entire school day. The CJBC is a non-profit organization whose main goal is collecting and distributing blood to patients in need all over New Jersey.

National Honor Society members scouted the whole school, looking for students willing and able to donate blood. Donors bravely volunteered to undergo the 10-15 minute procedure, even students who were afraid of needles.

“I wanted to do it last year but I was too scared because I’m scared of needles, but this year I wanted to overcome that because I wanted to help someone out,” explained Harvinder Kaur, a senior at JFK.

Students who participated in the blood drive ranged from 16 years of age and older, with National Honor Society students working shifts throughout the day. They escorted students back to class and distributed snacks and drinks to ensure the well-being of every donor.

NHS President Jimmy Dhillon, felt strongly about the importance of giving back to the community. He stated, “I think it is really crucial for people to give back to their community and by donating today, people are helping many others in need of blood.”

With a total of 104 students, teachers, and community members, 68 units of blood were collected. The money given to JFK from the CJBC for the contribution will be donated to St. Jude Children’s Hospital.

The tradition of giving the gift of life is a sacred one at John F. Kennedy Memorial High School. With the right qualifications, almost anyone can take part in the miraculous act of donating blood. For more information, visit the Central Jersey Blood Center website to schedule an appointment at one of their three locations in New Jersey, or find a mobile blood drive near you.