The Torch

Creed 2 Pre-Movie Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Creed 2 Pre-Movie Review

Yash Khanna, Columnist

Arriving at a theater near you in November 21st, the sequel to Creed, Creed 2. The Creed trilogy is a direct sequel to the critically acclaimed franchise Rocky. These trilogies are both about 2 individuals that box for a living, Rocky Balboa and Adonis Johnson Creed. Rocky Balboa aka “The Italian Stallion” is the main character of the Rocky trilogy and serves as a supporting character in Creed, the main character of Creed is Adonis Johnson Creed. In Rocky, Rocky Balboa is uneducated Italian American who is kind-hearted and works/lives in the slums of Philadelphia and does small time boxing matches for a little bit of money. An ex-world champion who is aged heavily named Mickey mocks and calls him a worthless man with no pride because he does not take advantage of his capabilities, this does not seem to have any effect on young Rocky. What catches his attention is that a cocky world champion named Apollo Creed wants to fight anyone and put his world title on the line. He proceeds to look himself and finds Rocky, and thinks that he is nothing and he will only just humiliate him in the ring. The Italian Stallion accepts the challenge and Mickey offers to train him seeing that he finally made use of his capabilities, this also spawns a great friendship between the two. He proceeds to train for hours a day preparing himself, his whole town supports and he as seen as an underdog to boxing officials. He famously runs a marathon up to the 72 steps of an art museum. When the fight went down, Rocky took advantage of Apollo Creed’s overconfidence and knocked him down on the first round. This was also the first time that Creed had been knocked down, the continued to fight for many rounds and when it looked Rocky was winning, Apollo won by decision. As the crowd stormed the ring Rocky did not care and was focused on his girlfriend Adrian who proposed to him during the moment. In Rocky 2, Balboa is now married but unsuccessful still after losing the fight, Adrian is pregnant and Rocky works for her brother who gives him many jobs at the docks. Apollo Creed dislikes Rocky and attempts to rid him of his pride by humiliating him with propaganda around gyms in Philadelphia. Mickey strongly suggests him to have a rematch however, he does not care and continues to try support his wife. Adrian starts to work again seeing that Rocky is trying to hard and needs a break, and she is also not fit to work due to the fact that she is pregnant. When she finally has their son, she goes into a coma due to stress from overwork, Rocky is saddened by this and faces Apollo Creed once again and wins. This fight creates a strong friendship with the 2 and they congratulate each other when the fight is over. Rocky 3 rolls around and Rocky becomes a millionaire, winning many fights with Apollo Creed and Mickey by his side. Unfortunately, Rocky loses his title to a big brolic man named Clubber Lang, he was not focused and saw that Mickey was having a heart attack and he dies after Rocky gets knocked out by Clubber Lang. Rocky is depressed by the passing of his best friend and Apollo agrees to train him for his rematch, this rematch results in Lang getting knocked out and Rocky’s wife and Son along with Apollo storm the ring in celebration, the movie then ends with Rocky and Apollo sparing at the gym. In Rocky 4, Rocky is still very successful and enjoys his time with his wife and kids as he is taking a break from boxing. What starts to catch his eye as that a Russian boxer being supported by the USSR communist party named Ivan Drago, wants a piece of American fighters, especially Rocky. Drago is huge and is also given steroids heavily and is most likely the most dangerous opponent Rocky would face, only accept Apollo decides to fight him in Las Vegas seeing that it is necessary that he should fight him first and so that Rocky can have an opportunity to learn his fighting style if he loses. Drago wins but also kills Creed in the ring and does not show any remorse. Rocky starts to train again after witnessing his friends death, he fights Drago again but in Russia in order to break his pride, he beats Drago by knockout and also provokes a USA chant in Russia and ends communism by beating Drago. Drago slowly falls into resorting to alcohol to wash his problems away at the end of the movie. Rocky 5 and 6 do not matter as they do not play a big role in the creed storyline, the first 4 movies had to be explained in order to truly understand the Creed storyline. In the first Creed, the illegitimate son of deceased champion Apollo Creed is Adonis Johnson Creed or simply Donnie. Adonis’ mother was a woman who had an affair with Apollo, and it resulted in Adonis Johnson Creed. He never met his father as he did die in the ring and was already married to another woman. Adonis growing up was thrown in adoption as his mother left him and he became a troublemaker and found himself in juvenile detention a few times for fighting. He then is adopted by Mary Anne Creed who is Apollo Creed’s wife and informed him everything about his dad. She takes care of him as he grows up to become a man and he becomes very wealthy working in a law firm with a college grad. But he always sneaks out to a fight club and goes undefeated until he is humiliated in a match by Danny Wheeler, who is a light heavyweight contender and it sparks Donnie interest in fighting big. Unfortunately, his mom does not want the same thing that happened to his dad to happen to him. Donnie refuses and travels to Philadelphia to seek out Rocky Balboa for training, who he knew was like a brother to his dad. Balboa now is retired since 1990 due to brain damage from his famous Ivan Drago fight and owns a diner called Adrian’s, named after his now deceased wife, it is also where he is usually at. Adonis goes to Adrian’s and talks to Rocky and informing him of his father being Apollo Creed, and he wants to start Boxing big to get a shot for the light heavyweight title. Rocky refuses but Donnie manages to convince him, this also sparks a huge friendship to the two as they train and Donnie learns a lot about his father from Rocky that he never knew. Donnie treats with a lot of respect and thinks of him as an uncle. Donnie starts fighting big and beats most of the competition and also beats Danny Wheeler who had previously embarrassed him to become the number one contender for the light heavyweight title. Rick Conlan and undefeated English boxer hears of Donnie’s rise to fame and wants to fight him for the title, except he was forced to retire due to a 7-year prison sentence. He eventually loses charges in court and goes back to boxing to fight Donnie, and try to win the title, but Balboa is diagnosed with lymphoma and must undergo chemotherapy. He does not want that as he sees that it did not save his wife but Donnie talks him into it telling him it is best for him. Donnie and Ricky fight 12 rounds and Ricky wins in a split decision but the two earn respect for each other and become friends. Ricky tells him for the future of his boxing career he should keep the surname Creed as the legacy for his father. In Creed 2s trailer, we see Ivan Drago who emerges back from the shadows and sees that his old rival Rocky trains the son of Apollo Creed who he killed in the ring. Drago has a huge grudge against Balboa who had embarrassed him in his own country many years ago. Wanting revenge, his son Viktor Drago trains himself in extreme conditions like his father once did and wants him to fight Donnie. Donnie hears of this and knows this is the man who killed his father and wants his son to fight him, Donnie really wants to fight him but Rocky tells him not to. Rocky explains how dangerous Ivan was in the ring and how potentially his son might be, he also tells him that Viktor was raised with a lot of hate toward him. We also see in the trailer a stare down between Balboa and Drago like they did many years ago. This is said to be drawing a lot from Rocky 4 since Ivan Drago is a returning character. Dolph Lundgren is returning as Ivan Drago, and his son is playing played by a Romanian boxer named Florian Munteanu. Sylvester Stallone is playing Rocky and Michael B Jordan is playing Adonis Creed as per usual. This movie may possibly hit the highest grossing for the month of November knowing that it is a sequel of a sequel to a critically acclaimed franchise.

About the Writer
Yash Khanna, Columnist

My name is Yash Khanna, I am currently 15 years old and I am a sophomore, I am a columnist for the torch. I write about movie reviews because, I am an...