The Torch

Our Hearts with Pittsburg

The Tree of Life Shooting

Back to Article
Back to Article

Our Hearts with Pittsburg

Hadi Alim, Editor-in-Chief

Early this Saturday, 11 people were killed and several others injured at the Tree of Life Synagogue, making it the deadliest attack against the Jewish people on American soil. The Jewish community at the Synagogue was celebrating a bris, or a welcoming into the world of an infant. Although the Jewish community has been heavily shaken by this event, the man responsible, Roberts Bowers, faces 29 charges in all and may face the death penalty as federal prosecutors decide his fate.

Bowers,  according to his post on an alt-right website called Gab, now offline, openly posted, “It’s the filthy EVIL jews Bringing the Filthy EVIL Muslims into the Country!!” Along with other posts, he had a background of anti-Semitic, Islamophobic, and xenophobic remarks.

Sadly the violence that struck down cannot be undone; police came in as soon as they were alerted but it was already too late. The victims of the Synagogue shooting have been identified as the following:

• David Rosenthal, 54, of Squirrel Hill
  • Cecil Rosenthal, 59, of Squirrel Hill
  • Richard Gottfried, 65, of Ross Township
  • Jerry Rabinowitz, 66, of Edgewood Borough
  • Irving Younger, 69, of Mt. Washington, Pittsburgh
  • Daniel Stein, 71, of Squirrel Hill
  • Joyce Fienberg, 75, of Oakland, Pittsburgh
  • Bernice Simon, 84, of Wilkinsburg
  • Sylvan Simon, 86, of Wilkinsburg
  • Melvin Wax, 88, of Squirrel Hill
  • Rose Mallinger, 97, of Squirrel Hill

Thousands of people of all faiths came to Squirrel Hill Vigil to honor the victims of the horrific tragedy at Pittsburgh’s Sixth Presbyterian Church. Over six congregations of mourners were there, supporting the grieving Jewish community. In addition to the Vigil in Pittsburg, there have also been several vigils around the country and around the world. Reverend Vincent Kolb began the vigil with, “It is in that spirit of neighborliness that we gather here tonight to be allies to our Jewish neighbors who have been victimized and traumatized by this tragedy,” the words of a former worshiper at the church. Even celebrities such have Rabbi David Wolpe and Linda Sarsour have gone out and expressed their views.

Muslims, however, have become increasingly active in the relief efforts. On Twitter, the hashtag #muslims4pittsburgh has gone viral. Muslims across the country have been showing their solidarity with the Jewish community. The Muslim community has also started a crowdfunding project, linked here, to show support. The page reads, “The Muslim-American community extends its hands to help the shooting victims, whether it is the injured victims or the Jewish families who have lost loved ones.”

If you or a loved one would like to donate to the families of the victims, you can donate here:

About the Writer
Hadi Alim, Editor-in-chief

Hi, my name is Hadi Alim and I’m a senior this year. I love a range of different things, from the arts, journalism, history, government, and architecture....

1 Comment

One Response to “Our Hearts with Pittsburg”

1. John Jiler on November 14th, 2018 11:26 pm

THE NOTORIOUS NINETEEN
    Dear Editor;
    Autumn is deepening, and seniors are seriously thinking about their next step. For many of us, your generation is the hope of the future. The Parkland high school shootings galvanized young people across the nation to passionately advocate for common sense gun laws. Now, as your attention turns to college, we want to turn our admiration into action.
    With the help of the Brady Center, the new Gabby Giffords consortium, Everytown for Gun Safety and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association, we’re reaching out to high school journalists across the country with our list of the NOTORIOUS NINETEEN—the states with dangerous, inadequate gun laws. Many of them condone the open carry of weapons on college campuses, but even those who don’t have encouraged or tolerated a state-wide, lawless violent culture. Our mission is to make these states known to high school seniors, whom we encourage NOT to apply to college in:
    ALABAMA, ALASKA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, IDAHO, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MISSISSIPPI, MISSOURI, MONTANA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NORTH DAKOTA, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, UTAH, WEST VIRGINIA, and WYOMING.
    We’ll be following up with letters to college presidents, Governors and legislators of the “Notorious Nineteen.” If they’re curious why their state-wide college applications are down this year, we’ll be happy to tell them!
    Thank you for considering the publication of this letter in your newspaper. This is how the world changes. Good luck throughout senior year…… and beyond!
    Best,
    John Jiler,
    Coordinator,
    Committee for Scholastic Action On Guns

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Our Hearts with Pittsburg

World News

Sustainability— A Reality America Needs To Accept

• Our Hearts with Pittsburg

World News

Gun Control

• Our Hearts with Pittsburg

World News

Celebrating Columbus Day: What The Holiday Represents

• Our Hearts with Pittsburg

World News

Far-right candidate wins first round of Brazil election

• Our Hearts with Pittsburg

World News

Ahed Tamimi—Activist and Civil Rights Advocate

• Our Hearts with Pittsburg

World News

Country of the Month: Kenya

• Our Hearts with Pittsburg

World News

A Day To Never Forget- 9/11

• Our Hearts with Pittsburg

World News

The New Year

• Our Hearts with Pittsburg

School News

Masquerade 2018

• Our Hearts with Pittsburg

World News

The Student News Site and Newsletter of John F. Kennedy Memorial High School
Our Hearts with Pittsburg