The Torch

Bohemian Rhapsody Pre-Movie Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bohemian Rhapsody Pre-Movie Review

Yash Khanna, Columnist

Coming to your local theater on November 2nd is Bohemian Rhapsody, a movie regarding the rise to fame of one of the most influential British rock bands called Queen, and also heavily focusing on Freddie Mercury, the lead vocalist. Queen is a band known for their popular songs such as we will rock you, don’t stop me know, another one bites the dust, we are the champions ETC. Queen formed in 1970 after Freddie Mercury had met members of the band called smile, Roger Taylor and Brian May. He talked to them about forming together and maybe remaking the whole band, he thought of the name queen. Eventually John Deacon had joined in 1971 and from there, they started hitting the charts. They made songs that are used as anthems or in pop culture in today’s world such as We will rock you, we are the champions, and Another Bites the Dust. Mercury had also made a few songs for his solo career such as made in heaven and Mr Bad Guy. After years and years of songs going platinum, Freddy’s appearance and stature was looking way more different, he came out gay and started to look much weaker. It was time where queen had their greatest and last performance yet, they went on tour playing many of their songs and Freddie had put on show. This was one of the most memorable rock performance, sadly Freddie had stated what has been going on with him and he said he had AIDS, just 24 hours after he died. Mercury had died of Bronchopneumonia from AIDS on November 24th, 1991. This death had struck a heavy blow on Queen, Deacon, Taylor, and May continued to play on for Queen, eventually in 96 deacon left due to retirement and it only was Taylor and may. Today they are older and sometimes have concerts singing classic songs even Freddies solo hits. In Bohemian Rhapsody, the movie will be exactly based off their origin, rise to fame, fame, and their end along with Freddies change and eventual death. The Role of Freddie will be taken on by Rami Malek, John will be played by Joe Mazzello, Roger will be played by Ben Hardy, and Gwilym Lee will play Brian May. Bohemian Rhapsody has already released in the UK and is doing very well, since there are also many fans in the US, it will also be on the box office.

About the Writer
Yash Khanna, Columnist

My name is Yash Khanna, I am currently 15 years old and I am a sophomore, I am a columnist for the torch. I write about movie reviews because, I am an...