Choosing Pharmacy As Your Career

Back to Article
Back to Article

Choosing Pharmacy As Your Career

Amna Naeem, Columnist

I always wanted to become a pharmacist, and as much as I remember probably since 6th grade. Becoming a pharmacist is my ambition and one of the biggest dreams I have in life  So the question is who is a pharmacist? And what is the job of a pharmacist? Pharmacists are medication experts who use their detailed knowledge of medicines to help patients get well. Pharmacists have a lot of duties as well such as dispensing medications, assuring the safety and appropriateness of the prescribed therapy, monitoring patient health and progress, partnering with consumers and patients to provide education and advice on the use of medications. And they can also collaborate with physicians nurses and other healthcare team members to provide expertise on drugs.

A day in a pharmacists life:

• “Dispenses or supervises the dispensing of medications and related supplies according to prescriptions written by physicians”
  • “Reviews prescriptions for accuracy and checks for drug interactions”
  • “Compounds medications and prepares special solutions and medications as required”
  • “Counsels patients regarding appropriate use of medications”
  • “Oversees daily ordering”
  • “Collaborates with other healthcare professionals to plan, monitor, review and evaluate patient effectiveness”

For instance the working conditions for pharmacists is that pharmacists work in pharmacies, including those in grocery and drug stores. They also work in hospitals and other healthcare facilities. Some pharmacists work for the government and the military. In most settings, they spend much of the workday on their feet. Most pharmacists work full time, Because many pharmacies are open at all hours, some pharmacists work nights and weekends.

Most importantly What are the requirements for becoming a pharmacist In order to become a pharmacist you need the The Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) degree program requires at least 2-years of specific pre-professional (undergraduate) coursework followed by 4-academic years (or 3-calendar years) of professional study. Pharmacy colleges and schools may accept students directly from high school for both the pre-pharmacy and pharmacy curriculum, or after completion of the college course prerequisites. The majority of students enter a pharmacy program with 3 or more years of college experience. College graduates who enroll in a pharmacy program must complete the full 4-academic years (or 3-calendar) years of professional study to earn the Pharm. D. degree. Other options for Pharm. D. graduates who are interested in further training include one- or two-year residency programs or fellowships. Pharmacy residencies are post-graduate training programs in pharmacy practice. Pharmacy fellowships are highly individualized programs designed to prepare participants to work in research laboratories. Some pharmacists who run their own pharmacies obtain a master’s degree in business administration (MBA).

Continuing The median annual wage for pharmacists is $122,230. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $87,120, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $157,950. And also one of the other important thing to become a pharmacist is to have good qualities and the qualities that you need in order to become a pharmacist is analytical skills, communication skills, computer skills, detail oriented and managerial skills.

Lastly the truth about becoming a pharmacist is that you are expected to work weekends, evenings and holidays especially if you are in a retail environment and the job can be physically demanding as well because you have to spend the majority of your time standing, but after all that i’ll still like to pick pharmacy as my career not only because it interests me but also because Pharmacists are considered one of the most visible and one of the most accessible health care professionals in the world. Pharmacists are regarded as one of the most trusted professions in the world. Pharmacy has always been an exciting and rewarding careers.