The Torch

How to survive High school

Back to Article
Back to Article

How to survive High school

Clara Bazan, Photographer

It’s September a new school year! I know not many of you are excited about it and neither am I, but if we need to be here might as well make it worth wild. This advice can be for freshmen to seniors. So first off I’ll tell you how to focus better when studying. Before you start anything find a quiet work space without any distractions. Next thing is to set a goal, your goal can be something like “I’m going to finish this chapter.” Or like, “I’m going to relearn Chapter 2”, really just anything to keep you motivated. Afterwards find your pace. By that, I mean study for around 20 minutes then take a 5 minute break, and as long as you keep that pace you’ll be fine. If you are studying for a test try to chew gum when you’re studying and when that test comes around chew the same flavor of gum and as weird as it is, it will actually help you.

Since this is a new school year why not make new friends. If you are in classes with your friends that’s great. However, I know that not all of us has a friend in each one of our classes. I know that might seem like the school is against you, but it’s not the school/universe is just trying to get you to make new friends. If you’re the one who’s alone try talking to someone new, who knows maybe just by saying “Hi” or “Hey what’s your name”, or even giving a compliment to someone, that can lead to a long friendship or just someone to talk to when your in that class. And if you are trying to meet new people or trying to make new friends join clubs and try out for sports. If you’re into something that you like, surely you’ll make new friend that shares the same interest as you. You could find someone that’s just like you! Also try to participate in school activities, like going to the games or the dances. Be outgoing! So my last advice would be just to be yourself. No one likes a fake, so show who you really are. Talk to someone who’s a new student or is sitting alone in class.  Have a great school year!

About the Writer
Clara Bazan, Photographer

Hi I’m Clara Bazan. I am a sophomore in JFK high school. I am the photographer for the school newspaper. I wanted to be the photographer because I’ve...