Governor Murphy Officially Closes Schools for the Remainder of the School Year

Governor Murphy announces closing of all NJ schools on Twitter.

Seniors at a Loss

On May 4, Governor Murphy ordered that all New Jersey schools remain closed for the rest of the academic school year. Although this news affects everyone, from staff to students, the biggest losers in this situation are the seniors. Most high school students spend their first three years excitedly anticipating their senior year. Senior year is about creating lasting memories with friends at prom, graduation, and many other events; however, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the class of 2020, will unfortunately never get these traditional senior year experiences. My fellow class officer, Jaeden Owusu, says, “It felt weird knowing that unfortunately, we would not get the closure that every other class gets.” As class officers, we have been trying to make the best of the situation through as many avenues as we can. Jaeden says, “We have been talking to the administration about what we can do to make this transition as smooth as possible. We’ve tried to maintain engagement with our class by doing things like having a virtual college decision day, and while it’s not the same, it’s the little things that brighten our days.” 

Missing Memories

As a graduating senior myself, I feel the same disappointment that many of my classmates are feeling. We have worked so hard these past 3 years, knowing that it would all pay off senior year. We would be able to look back on our years of hard work fondly and create final memories as we moved on into the next stage of life, but unfortunately, our senior year has been cut short. Senior athletes lost their final season, music students lost their final concerts, and we lost our last semester to see our friends and teachers. I regret taking little things for granted like going to track practice and attending Heroes and Cool Kids conferences. What is most upsetting is the fact that we will not be having a traditional graduation. I may not be able to deliver my speech in front of all of my friends and family. My classmates and I may never get to share final hugs and laughs in our cap and gown on the football field. While I understand that current measures are in place to maintain everyone’s health and safety, it still hurts to lose our final days as high school students.

What’s Next?

In truth, all we can do as seniors is look forward. The COVID-19 situation is constantly evolving, and that means plans for our class are evolving as well. While events like the infamous Project Graduation will not be occurring, other events like prom have not been canceled. As of right now, prom will either take place in July or November. In addition, there is still a possibility of an in-person graduation. Although these events may not look how we originally imagined them to be, they are still possibilities, and that is cause for celebration.