Senior Spotlight: Derryn Carino

Senior+Derryn+Carino.+

Senior Derryn Carino.

Yumna Khan, A&E editor

“You just gotta do you and try and stay happy no matter your situation, just live life and enjoy it.” -Senior Derryn Carino, class of 2021.

Derryn Carino is a well-rounded individual who cherishes the friendships he created through his four years here at John F. Kennedy Memorial High School. Carino has said that his friends mean the world to him because they always have his back, and are supportive and fun to be around. He’s is a firm believer in having a few close friends, rather than a lot of acquaintances that you have no connection with. In fact, his friends helped ease the pressure that high school had introduced. 

Upon entering high school as a freshman, Carino was worried about how high school would go for him. He was under the impression that high school would be difficult and hard to manage. However, he discovered that this was not true because he ended up having a great time at school and said he “wouldn’t change a thing about it.”

Throughout his years at JFK, Carino has been an active member of the school’s volleyball team in which he played the position of outside hitter. He also enjoys playing basketball recreationally. Aside from sports, he also has an interest in photography and music. Whether it’s casual pictures for Instagram or professional photos for an event, you can always find Derryn with a camera in his hand. Although photography is nothing more than just a hobby, for now Derryn enjoys taking “photos of his close friends.” Some of his favorite music artists include: Kanye West, ASAP Rocky, and Travis Scott because they are not afraid to push boundaries, and they don’t let other people’s opinions affect them. They influence his sense of style, and he likes to mirror their style with his. 

In the future, Derryn is planning on becoming a physical therapist. Through his experience as an athlete and personal interests, he has gained a lot of knowledge and insight that will successfully guide him in his career path.