And the 2021 Homecoming Queen is…

Anusha Nayak!

On Sept. 24, 2021, during the homecoming game, Anusha Nayak was announced as JFK’s Homecoming Queen. 

The candidates were nominated by the student body and staff, and the final five were selected to represent our school at the homecoming game against Cranford. Madyson Blackman, Anusha Nayak, Stephanie Yu, Sneha Saravan and Michelle Solano were the final nominees chosen. During the game, Homecoming Queen nominees were escorted out at half-time alongside their escorts. Anusha was notably escorted out by Chalsea Ilagan. After waiting a suspenseful couple of minutes, the 2021 Homecoming Queen was announced as Anusha Nayak. Despite the announcement of the winner being slightly hard to hear by the student body, plenty of cheers for Anusha were heard from the student section on the bleachers.

Anusha explained her experience, feelings and why she ran for Homecoming Queen.

“… when we were online [virtual] last year, we didn’t get to do too many school events, and so I wanted to be more involved because it’s our last year at school, so I figured I could just run and… participate in more school stuff.” She continued,  “I really didn’t expect to win… I told my friends about it and I was still unsure about running itself, but they were really encouraging so I figured to go through with it, and… I was really shocked when it happened. It felt like … everything was going by so fast and it was kind of a blur and then I heard … my name and I was still confused. I was still trying to figure out, like, did they say I was a runner up? Or you know, what happened, so I was really shocked but I’m really thankful for everybody who voted for me.” 

Anusha is very involved amongst the student body at JFKMHS. She is a participant of the guitar club, Junior State of America, High School Democrats of America, and Chinese Club. Additionally, she is a member of two honors societies: National Honors Society and National English Honors Society. She is an active member of student council, and is on the school’s varsity basketball and track team. 

Congratulations to Anusha and the other candidates!