Senior Spotlight: Emely Gomez

Emely Gomez, class of 2023 enjoys baking, spending time with her family and loves voleyball.

Esther Dorielan, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Emely Gomez, also known as “Em” to her family and friends, is a John F. Kennedy Memorial High School senior. She has been a part of the Mustang family since her freshman year. Emely is currently 17 years old and was born on September 17th, 2005. When she was a freshman, Emely had the opportunity to cheer for her school’s basketball team, yet her favorite sport is volleyball. Nonetheless, her future consists of having her own business. 

I know you like to bake, what is your favorite baked good to make and why?

Emely: Cupcakes, since everyone asks me to make it for them. It’s also easy since I know the steps and I’m used to everything [the baking process] than making cookies. 

What advice would you give to upcoming freshmen?

Try to do a lot of clubs, sports and community service because colleges are going to look at that. They are going to see if you’re an active person. Make sure you get good grades and pay attention in school. Don’t try to get caught up in the drama and the fighting. Just do you. Don’t depend on people because at the end of the day, all you have is yourself. 

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Hopefully, in 10 years, I will… graduate from college, have kids, be married, open my business, and be successful in life. 

Who inspires you and why?

My mom inspires me a lot because she worked so hard for me and my sisters to have a good life. I love seeing my mom happy every time I get good grades because that means she’s proud of me. 

Okay last question, name your top 5 music artists?

100 percent Giveon, Sza, Aboogie, Jhene Aiko and Summer Walker. I’m an r&b person. 

The Torch wishes you the best of luck for your future, Emely.