Senior Spotlight: Asma Shah

Senior Asma Shah excited to be featured on The Torch.

Rima Khan

Rima Khan, Site Editor

Something that sets John F. Kennedy Memorial High School apart from other high schools is the diversity in our student body. We have people from many different backgrounds with many various interests. Asma Shaha senior at JFK, is an extroverted, passionate, and fun-loving individual. She loves making new friends and helping other students succeed in pursuing their passions and goals. Shah finds herself taking a huge interest in graphic design. 

How was your experience at JFK? 

Asma: Overall, I enjoyed the time spent here at JFK. The atmosphere here seems very welcoming and accepting. I think you can find more people that relate to you. Even though I was new here freshman year and had no friends to begin with, I found myself quickly warming up to people around here from the first day itself. 

What was your favorite high school memory? 

My favorite high school memory was last year when it was my birthday. My friends planned surprises for me to celebrate my special day. One of my close friends went over the top … it was fun. It made me really happy because I knew I found a group of friends that actually cared about me. 

Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

I see myself working part-time at a dental clinic as that is what my mom wishes to see me pursue. However, I would also be doing graphic design on the side as that is what I really want to do. 

What are you planning to do after high school? 

I’m very interested in graphic design and hope to pursue the career in the future. I’m already trying to start out my journey by offering to design book covers for people on different websites. 

What is the main goal that you want to accomplish? 

Getting to a point in life where I could call it balanced and stable in a kind of way. Trying to complete my life by getting a good job, a good life partner, and building trustworthy friendships that I could cherish forever. To be more productive and successful is also one of my main goals.

What is one piece of advice you would give to your younger self?

I would definitely want to advise my younger self to not lose focus and try to keep my grades up instead of giving up just because I thought that it didn’t matter anymore. I am sure that I had way more potential if I tried a bit harder in school and I would have achieved a lot more if I was more attentive.

Thank you for being an amazing friend. I hope you have an amazing rest of your senior year. I’m blessed to have made such unforgettable memories with you at school. Good luck on your graphic design journey! I hope to see you accomplish every goal of yours in the future.