Senior Spotlight: Mark Roche

Melissa Magilone

Mark wins by a pin during the Carteret match.

Gabriel Rodriguez

The 2023 class of seniors has gone through a massive change due to the pandemic. Each senior had to figure out a way to bounce back after the pandemic and throughout high school in general. 

Throughout high school, senior Marke Roche has been playing football and wrestling. Roche has excelled in these sports. In football, he had 87 total tackles and 18 of them were tackles for loss. he had 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles, as well as 1 interception. In wrestling he excels as well, and is currently 13-2.

Roche transferred to JFK Memorial High School after his freshman year. He came here at a bad time, which was right when quarantine started.

“My major setbacks probably have to be covid, me entering the transfer protocol and my knee injury,” Roche said.Roche found a way to bounce back from the quarantine. He says his team bond and coaches helped him pull through.

“It was hard, but we worked hard. The team worked hard and we all got back together at the same speed,” Roche said. 

In the last semester of his senior year, Roche hopes to finish with a good GPA so he will be able to go to college and study criminal justice. 

“I’ve been dreaming to be anything that has to do with a police officer ever since I was a kid,” Roche said.  

The Torch wishes Roche a great rest of his senior year and the rest of his wrestling season.