Senior Spotlight: Subtain Ali

Subtain Ali dominating his opponent at his wrestling match.

Aiden Montalvo, Head Photographer

Subtain Ali is a senior at John F. Kennedy Memorial High School. Subtain is currently on the wrestling team with a record of 9-7. When he is not on the wrestling mat dominating, he enjoys lifting weights and gaining muscle. 

How was your 4 year experience here at John F. Kennedy Memorial High School?

Subtain: I think there have been a lot of ups and downs. I don’t think it was the right experience because of the whole pandemic, and I do wish I had a chance to get that normal high school experience. 

Are you looking forward to graduating?

I am. I’m really excited for what’s next in my life and I can’t wait to get out of high school at this point. 

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 

I just want to go through college as well as continuing with my lifting career. 

What advice would you give to freshmen you?

Keep good grades, do a sport and work hard. It’s not supposed to be easy, but you’re going to get what you put into it. Keep up the work and you will get what you deserve. 

Did you take anything for granted in 4 years of high school?

Yes, I do wish I put in more effort. So I do think I took a lot of things for granted.

Favorite memories of high school?

My favorite memories are when I’m always on the wrestling mat. Every time I get a pin, it’s always a great feeling and it adds to my favorite memories. 

Are you excited for prom?

Not really, I’m not really a party type of guy, but if my friends go, I guess i’ll go. 

How is your senior year of high school going so far?

Senior year is pretty boring to be honest. I’m just here to do my work and get out of here. I can’t wait until I have senior block so I leave early. 

Looking back, do you think you would have guessed this is the type of person you’d be?

No, I would have never guessed I would be the person [I am] today. Everything changed heading into sophomore year. I started going to the gym and getting bigger. My whole mindset changed.

If you could rate your high school experience 1 out of 10 what would you give it?

I would give it a good 5.