Senior Spotlight: Chris Guallpa

Chris at the park practicing his soccer skills before a big game

Fausto Guallpa

Christopher Guallpa is a 18-year-old senior at John F. Kennedy Memorial High School, he is captain of the Kennedy Soccer Team and an all-state soccer player.  Staff from The Torch will miss Chris as he is going to be graduating and will be attending Middlesex County College. 

What do you plan to do later in life?

Chris: I plan to probably take over my dad’s business or probably become a gym teacher here at JFK. 

What was your best year of high school so far and why?

My best year of high school, I would say was my sophomore year and that’s mainly because that year I showed out especially in my sport, soccer and I also made a semi-pro team out of my club team. 

How have  you changed from freshman year up until now?

I’ve definitely feel like I’ve changed a lot since freshman year, I mean it’s also [like that] for everybody. Every freshman’s going to be scared because you’re basically entering a whole other world.

What is one thing you’ll miss about high school and was there anything you regret doing in high school?

One thing I’ll miss about high school is definitely playing on the soccer team. I feel like I’ve built a good relationship with the coach and some of the younger players, and Ill definitely miss that whole group once I leave, and one thing I regret doing in high school is getting into relationships.

Now that you’re about to leave and you’re a senior what is some advice you would give to freshman coming into high school?

I would probably tell the Freshman to be mature, which they’re probably not going to be, but definitely be mature, be respectful, and do what you have to do to make the right choices.

How has the pandemic and covid affected you’re high school experience?

It affected me a lot. I mean before covid, I was much more active and always wanted to be involved in school activities and now, after covid, I’ve felt not as active as I was before during school, and I just feel like I don’t want to do the things I did before at all.

Do you feel as if relationships you’ve had with some friends will change when you get out of high school?

No, I don’t think so because my friend group has been together since almost elementary school, and some of them from middle school and we have that strong bond among each other, so I feel like it wont change at all.

I know you were all state for soccer and captain of the JFK Soccer Team. Do you plan on playing soccer in the future and if not what other plans do you have?

I do plan on playing soccer for maybe two years, and then my other years I want to focus on my career, like I said, being a gym teacher and if that doesn’t work out,  I’ll look for other jobs, but I don’t know yet.