Senior Spotlight: Gelleane Amarra

Gelleane in her gown at the National Honor Society Induction ceremony

Your ethnic background is Filippino, how has that impacted your high school years?

Amarra: Being Filipino hasn’t drastically impacted my high school career; however, it allowed me to appreciate my friends of the same ethnicity more because we relate to each other in a different way than other people might. 

You plan on majoring in veterinary medicine, what prompted you to that path?

As an underclassman, I took a lot of classes that allowed me to explore different careers and plan my college career. In my junior year, I made career presentations for anatomy and SAT prep and chose to learn more about veterinary medicine. Also, my love for animals prompted me to pursue it. 

What’s one of your favorite memories from senior year?

One of my favorite memories from senior year was the day before Christmas break because all of my classes were fun and everyone dressed up in PJs and Santa hats.

Which teacher helped you realize the best learning strategies for yourself?

Mrs. Sienk helped me realize that the best learning strategy is to combine a couple different styles. She would lecture, but also give us worksheets and would play games for prizes which helped us learn it. She would also reduce our burnout by giving us creative projects in forensics. 

Give us someone you’re sad to leave behind 

I’m extremely sad to leave behind my underclassmen friends especially the ones from the play and the musical, most especially Jerrah.

One of your interests is theater. Is it just a hobby or something you’d like to pursue?

Theater is just a hobby, but I’d like to continue it into college if possible.

Do you have any advice on high school relationships? 

If you’re planning on having a relationship in high school, balance is key. Learn to balance your extracurriculars, your social life, your health, and your relationship while keeping your academics as your main priority. 

Are there any classes you wished JFK offered?

I wish JFK offered a pre-vet class because other high schools in New Jersey offer it and it would be a great way to decide what you want to do. 

What’s one movie that accurately represents the true high school experience to you?

One movie that somewhat accurately represents the true high school experience to me is “10 Things I Hate About You”. It represents crushes accurately, relationships, promposals, the lunchroom and the excitement over college acceptances.

What would be your ideal living situation for college?

My ideal living situation for college would be dorming with someone new so I could step out of my comfort zone and meet new people.