Senior Spotlight: Jasmin Yee

Jasmin Yee

Graduating senior, Jasmin Yee, spending her summer at the beach.

Jasmin Yee, a senior here at John F. Kennedy Memorial High School, leaves high school with an inspiring story of perseverance and determination. Yee has taken part in various clubs and activities throughout high school, but one worth highlighting is her experience on the JFK Girl’s Cross Country team. Yee’s journey as a high school runner has been anything but easy, especially after sustaining a back injury.

Outside of athletics, Yee is also passionate about civil service and supporting her community. Yee’s love for helping others translates into her plans to attend Spurgeon College this fall.

Back Injury vs. Running

Yee first noticed pain while running in the summer of 2021. It wasn’t until the end of this year’s cross country season that the issue became of major concern. Specifically, Yee recalls Thomson Park as her most difficult run with the injury and one of the first times she truly acknowledged it.

“This one incline at the end of the course, it went on for a quarter mile and it was very slow but steep at the same time,” Yee describes. “The next day I went to practice and was like, ‘ Coach I can’t even walk.’” 

What first seemed to be a hip injury turned out to be a nerve-related issue in Yee’s back. Yee’s long road to recovery demanded physical therapy, time and discipline.  

“I just started walking very slow,” Yee shared. “The exercises I did at PT, I just kept it up at home.” 

Yee let her love for cardio and need to be active guide her recovery. This meant that she couldn’t wait to be fit and healthy again. Yee reveals that her excitement to be active occasionally manifested as her over-exerting herself during recovery.

“You know me,” Yee says laughing. “I kind of pushed myself a little bit. There were sometimes where I overdid it.” 

Despite a few hiccups, Yee maintained composure and determination throughout the recovery process. She even found herself discovering a new perspective on running.

“I used to think of running as a chore,” Yee explains. “Then [after the injury], I realized I actually enjoy it and I want to choose to run.” 

Yee shares how running is something she genuinely enjoys in her free time and an activity that helps her clear her mind. For many who do not see the appeal in running but want to, Yee offered some beginner’s advice.

“A lot of the times, I remember, when I did badly on my runs, it was because I was thinking I want to get this over with, I wanna beat my time,” Yee says.”But if you want to do well, you have to just enjoy it.” 

Yee adds that fun ways to make running more enjoyable are to run with friends and not be hard on yourself when every run does not go your way. Despite facing such difficulties throughout her running career, Yee plans to continue running throughout her life because of the physical and mental health benefits of the activity.

Beyond Running

Apart from being a focused runner and athlete, Yee also devotes herself to serving her community in whatever way possible. Yee identifies the desire to help others as a central pillar in her life and makes doing good things for those in her community her motivation. Yee currently, through her religion and community, takes part in planning various service activities that aim to bring the community together. 

“I spend a lot of time at my church and there are community things they do,” Yee details. “The food pantry, we put on events for the community like vacation bible school, and plan Wednesday and Friday nights for the youth to just come to church and hangout.”

Yee is so passionate about the work she currently does that she plans to pursue a career in missionary work at Spurgeon College. Yee cares deeply about being there for others and holds that as a goal in her life as she goes to a college that provides many outlets for her to do so. In addition, Yee also sees many other opportunities for her to grow as a person in this field.

“I have a deep passion for my religion and I just want to share that with people,” Yee says. “It’s not only that, I want to travel.”

Yee plans to attend Spurgeon College as an intercultural studies major on track to getting a master’s degree in divinity and international church planning. Yee shares the sadness of having to move on from high school and the people she is comfortable with, but highlights the overwhelming feeling of excitement about the new environment she is about to enter. 

As Yee gets ready to take on the next chapters of her life, we wish her the best in all her future endeavors!