The Student News Site and Newsletter of John F. Kennedy Memorial High School

The Torch

The Torch

The Torch

The Torch Recaps the ‘ReelAbilities’ Film Festival at Kean University

The series of films features the lives of people with disabilities providing awareness through award-winning short and movie-length films.
Come one, come all! Use your vision for good and take in these variety of films like eye candy on Keans very own big screen (Photo Illustration).
Jeremy Fishman
Come one, come all! Use your vision for good and take in these variety of films like eye candy on Kean’s very own big screen (Photo Illustration).

On Feb. 29, students of JFKMHS, ASL classes and select students were lucky enough to take a free trip to Kean University to see three stunning and inspiring films.

The “ReelAbilities” Film Festival ran from Thursday, Feb. 29, to Saturday, March 2. Students aren’t the only ones who are fortunate enough to attend this extravaganza of films. In addition, these films are able to be viewed virtually at home, which gives an equal opportunity for others who couldn’t attend in person.

The trio of films highlighted people with disabilities, and the struggles they face. The three disabilities which were featured in these films were the cases of people with Down syndrome, autism and albinism.

Students and teachers viewed the films, “The Hero”, “Strange” and “Jasmine is a Star.”

“Jasmine is a Star”

“Jasmine is a Star” is about a young girl, Jasmine, a determined 16-year-old with albinism whose passion is to become a professional model in her hometown of Minneapolis. While Jasmine confronts the beauty standards and societal norms set for her, she also explores self-acceptance and independence. The film is movie-length and runs for about 58 minutes. It was directed by Jo Rochelle. Down below is a trailer you can check out for yourself!

“The Hero”

“The Hero”, on the other hand, is about a high school student, Cody, facing the everyday obstacles of Down syndrome. Cody is a soon-to-be comic book artist who uses an imaginary world and creates a superhero to escape from his school bully. His character gives him enough courage to stand up for himself and face the harsh reality he’s been living in. This film is shorter at 12 minutes long. It was directed by Andrew Arguello alongside director Courtney Ropp.

“Strange”

Last but not least, is an autobiographical piece titled, “Strange” which is the shortest of the three films at two minutes. The audience got an animated glimpse of an autistic author who is navigating his own life of struggles to overcome, coping mechanisms and friends. “Strange” was directed by Cameron Carr.

From my perspective, I’d say this one was my favorite of the three. The animation was fantastic and it really drew my attention with how cool everything came to life for the audience.

The Torch would love to hear what you think of the three films!  Leave us a comment if you were on the trip or watch any of the ‘ReelAbilities’ films.