The Student News Site and Newsletter of John F. Kennedy Memorial High School

The Torch

The Torch

The Torch

Mustang Boys’ Volleyball Wins 2-1 Over McNair

The+Mustangs+at+the+ECTVS+Invitational+tournament+at+West+Caldwell+Tech.+They+placed+second+after+being+the+sixth+seed+with+Eddy+Santiago+as+the+MVP.+%0A%28Image+courtesy+of+jfkmhs_volleyball+on+Instagram%29+
Laila Gray
The Mustangs at the ECTVS Invitational tournament at West Caldwell Tech. They placed second after being the sixth seed with Eddy Santiago as the MVP. (Image courtesy of jfkmhs_volleyball on Instagram)

On Saturday, April 6, Mustang Boys Volleyball took on the Cougars of McNair at Jersey City High School. The Mustangs won the last two sets, winning 2-1. The stats were notable and impressive across the roster.

Manan Patel had an impeccable 30 assists off of the team’s kills. In that category, Peter Cvijanovic had a season-high 15 kills, and Sean Topacio followed with 10 kills, his career-high.

Another highlight of the night was Nathaniel Richmond’s 16 blocks. As well as Richmond’s career and season-high, he also broke the Greater Middlesex Conference record for most blocks in a single game. Also on the leaderboard, Cvijanovic is ranked number 5 in the GMC (Greater Middlesex Conference) for having 47 kills in the season two weeks in.

For blocks, Richmond is in first place. Topacio is in eighth place for blocks and second place for his 11 aces. The Mustangs currently sit at an even record of 4-4 hoping to win against the Raiders of North Brunswick on Wednesday, April 17. The Mustangs are on a slower start than last season, though they are ranked third in the White Division.

Comparatively, the Raiders have won one out of five while the Mustangs won three out of the five. John F Kennedy’s record against the Raiders over the last two years is 2-2, so hopefully this game will be a tiebreaker for our school.

2
View Comments (2)