The Student News Site and Newsletter of John F. Kennedy Memorial High School

The Torch

The Torch

The Torch

‘Mean Girls’ Remake Filmed in Colonia New Jersey

378 New Dover Road in Colonia is the private residence used to film for Regina George’s home. Photo courtesy of Paramount Pictures.

Paramount PIctures filmed the new production of “Mean Girls” in Colonia, New Jersey during March of 2023.  

According to MyCentralJersey, the 378 New Dover Road private residence used for filming had a gray futuristic look with floor-to-ceiling windows and stone detailing all around the sides. Zillow estimates the 7800 square foot property, which sits on 1.02 acres of land, to be valued at $2 million. The single-family home includes seven bedrooms and six baths. 

NJ.gov explains how the state is a great place to film movies and TV shows because the taxes are less expensive than traditional filming locations. MyCentralJersey states that the production team for “Mean Girls” was looking for a house with modern architecture, but still wanted it to be trendy. They looked at many different houses with similar architecture but took a liking to one in Colonia which is located in Woodbridge Township.

The outside of the house is what caught their eye, but the inside was used as well. In the movie, we get clips of the home’s foyer which has white marble floors and a big black staircase with glass railings.

We also see Regina’s bedroom which has lots of trendy modern furniture with pink accents. Regina’s house in the 2004 film is very different compared to the recent one. Her old home consists of a “new money” aesthetic. It had statues, exterior columns and a gated entrance with a water fountain at the center of the property. 

Fans first recognized the house when the trailer was released. Other New Jersey sets included Mater Dei Prep (a closed catholic school), Delbarton School and Saint Elizabeth University.