The Student News Site and Newsletter of John F. Kennedy Memorial High School

The Torch

The Torch

The Torch

Mustangs Kick Off the Spring Season with Running of the Halls

Ms. Prusicki
Marching mustangs perform “The Horse” as students cheer them on.

The 2024 spring season running of the halls took place on March 29 during second block. The winter and spring mustang athletes and cheerleaders were lively and energetic as they dashed through the halls alongside the marching mustangs as the band played a wonderful rendition of “The Horse.”

This was the second spring running of the halls, the first being in 2022.

“This is my first time participating in running of the halls,” senior Petar Cvijanovic states. “I play volleyball and my position is outside hitter. This season, I hold the record for the most kills and second for the most aces, but I hope to finish the season with more than I had last year. I know spring athletes don’t usually get an opportunity to run the halls, so I was excited to play a part, but I thought it was underwhelming.”

Senior Matysh Garg, captain of the boys tennis team, had different thoughts on having a role in running of the halls as a spring athlete.

“I didn’t know personally that we were having running of the halls, and I wasn’t expecting it, but it was a pleasant surprise and I think it’s a tradition that JFK should continue in the future,” Garg says. 

The JFK cheerleading team filled the hallways with their exuberant cheers, their voices echoing enthusiastically. Senior captain Chloe Tu conveys her excitement and incredible team spirit during the running of the halls.

“Even with the season over, all of us are still really thrilled, and it’s really cool that the administration let the entire team run the halls with us because I feel like cheer as a sport at JFK is super underrated,” Tu states. “We put in so much work, so it’s nice to get our work acknowledged.”

Mr. Cabrera has been leading the marching mustangs for 16 years, and works hard to prepare them for running of the halls. 

“We typically practice for running of the halls the day of because the kids are really well-trained since we do a lot of training over the course of the year,” Cabrera states. “They do a great job. Sometimes it’s a little bit of a shock to their systems because they’re literally running through the halls and up and down the stairs, while they’re playing their instruments.”

Running of the halls is a tradition that most mustangs seem to enjoy, whether it be the students participating, or the students and teachers cheering on the sidelines.