The Student News Site and Newsletter of John F. Kennedy Memorial High School

The Torch

The Torch

The Torch

April 8 solar eclipse is ‘one for the books’

Ms. Prusicki
Junior Mia Montanez and senior Maanav Amin test out solar eclipse glasses in front of JFKMHS.

On April 8, 2024 a total eclipse occurred which passed over most of the United States, Mexico, and Canada. This solar eclipse was special because of its large path of totality which could be viewed even if they weren’t in the path of totality.

The eclipse lasted twice the amount of time than the duration of the 2017 eclipse. The average of the 2024 solar eclipse was about three to four minutes long. Mexico had the longest duration of the total solar eclipse with it lasting around 4 minutes and 28 seconds.

In a solar eclipse, the moon passes between the sun and earth, covering the sun in the process, which then casts a shadow on earth that blocks sunlight from some parts of the world. During this, the sun’s corona, which is the outside layer of the sun’s atmosphere, is visible. This is exactly what happened in this 2024 solar eclipse. 

The eclipse was first seen in Mexico’s Pacific coast, then moving northeast through Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, and up toward New York, New Hampshire, Maine then to Canada. According to CBS News, about 31.6 million people were able to see and experience the 2024 solar eclipse. With so many locations being able to see the eclipse, many traveled to the best spots to see it. According to NPR News, the state of Vermont was expecting about 160,000 visitors. Parks and roads were full of people wanting to watch. 

In New Jersey, many schools were even closed or had an early dismissal because of the solar eclipse. Districts stated that they didn’t want students looking at the sun upon dismissal without safety eclipse glasses.

The next solar eclipse in the United States will be on August 23, 2044.