The Student News Site and Newsletter of John F. Kennedy Memorial High School

The Torch

The Torch

The Torch

Senior Spotlight: Imania Mohamed

Imania plans to major in communications or English while in college.

Imania Mohamed is a dedicated senior at John F. Kennedy Memorial High School. Throughout her high school career, she has been an active member of the JFK community, serving as a member of the National Honor Society and English Honor Society, President of the Film Club, member of the Kennedy American Cancer Society, WeEvolve, Key Club and a three-year member of student council. Her commitment to extracurricular activities and community involvement has made a positive impact on her high school experience. We wish her every success in her future endeavors!

As a member of various clubs and honor societies at JFK, how do you believe this has influenced your high school experience?

Imania: I feel like it’s impacted my experience because instead of just having a basic school experience, when you’re involved in clubs and honor societies, these organizations help you connect with people you never would have met before. It helps you get the most out of your school experience. Being a part of these clubs helped me get out of my comfort zone. Before high school, I was more introverted and quiet, but I feel like talking and getting to know people who have the same interests helped me grow as a person. 

As the president of the film club at JFK, what inspired you to make this club?

I’ve always liked making videos since I was little. I’ve made YouTube videos with my friends. I feel like I discovered my love for filming during school projects when I would have to make videos, I realized that I enjoyed doing it and not only because it was required for a project. Last year, I had a 60-minute presentation for my U.S. History II class with Mr. Kaul…. My group decided to do a skit as part of the presentation, we got a green screen and dressed up. We recorded a fake news report on the president our presentation was on. I wrote it, we all acted as reporters, some people edited it, and a girl in my group used her camera… we were all working together… even though it was a project, it didn’t feel like it was work. We all had so much fun together. That experience inspired me to start the film club and make films more often with people. I feel once you make something creatively with peers, it bonds you. 

What advice would you give to incoming freshmen coming to school at JFK?

I would say live in the moment… years go by really fast, you’re going to blink and you’re going to be a senior. Enjoy every moment, don’t go on your phone too much, go and talk to people, join clubs. Even though high school is such a small part of your life… I feel it’s important to do things that make you grow as a person. Don’t be satisfied with staying the same.. You can change, know that you can change. 

What are some people who inspired and motivated you throughout your high school career? 

My older sister… even though we are four years apart, we understand each other. She’s already been through high school, so I always go to her with advice. She is my role model and a great source of inspiration for me. 

What are your plans after high school? 

I am still undecided about what college I’m going to attend. I plan to major in either communications or English. I hope to graduate college, get my degree, write a book, and travel the world. 

What are some of your favorite memories from JFK? 

My senior gym class with my friends Candice, Helanie, and Mariam…. It’s really fun. We love to play pickleball and badminton. Overall all my gym classes have been good memories… you get to talk with your friends and get to know your classmates more.  

What are some life lessons you have learned from high school? 

I learned that people change… give grace to other people. Forgive people, not everyone is perfect. Give people room to change because they can and just realize everyone is human and makes mistakes. Again, I would say live in the moment… if you’re always on your phone and technology… you’re gonna regret it, you can always get back time on your phone and go on it whenever. But you can’t live every day again. Cherish moments in high school because you’re not gonna get it back.