Safety Tips for COVID-19

Microscopic close up of the virus. Photo Credit: photo via wikimedia under the creative common license Microscopic close up of the virus.

Jaspreet Manko, Student Life Editor

Coronavirus is a very dangerous and communicable disease. As of May 7, there have been 2,283,954 infected and 268,738 dead. The disease is very scary and shouldn’t be taken lightly. Here are some tips for you to stay safe during this crisis:

1. Wash your hands

Make sure to wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after being out in a public place, blowing your nose, sneezing, or coughing. If you do not have soap, be sure to use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content.

2. Avoid touching your face

Don’t touch your face if your hands aren’t washed as germs can travel from your hands to your eyes, nose, or mouth through physical contact.

3. Practice social distancing

If you go out in public, be sure to keep a distance of at least 6 feet away from other people.

4. Clean and disinfect everyday items frequently

Be sure to frequently clean and disinfect items you touch everyday such as tabletops, doorknobs, your phone, keyboards, handles, etc.

5. Cover your nose and mouth when you sneeze or cough

Bacteria can travel 6-8 feet when you sneeze or cough. Coughing or sneezing into your elbow or sleeve will keep the bacteria from traveling.

6. Avoid close contact with sick people

Germs pass through the air from person to person. When a sick person sneezes, coughs, or talks, tiny droplets of mucus hit the air and you can take that in through your nose or mouth.

7. Stay home

Staying home can keep you from contracting or spreading the Coronavirus.

8. Wear a facemask if you’re sick

If you’re sick and are around anyone, wear a facemask to keep them from getting sick.

The people most at risk of contracting the Coronavirus are elderly people and people with chronic medical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, and lung disease. Following these tips can help keep you and your loved ones from getting sick. If you’re bored during the quarantine, read https://thetorchjfk.com/2399/culture/10-ways-to-keep-busy-during-the-quarantine/