JFKMHS Reopening Plan

Courtesy of Lindsay Prusicki The new JFK socially distant classroom setups

Anusha Nayak, Yumna Khan, and Don Puntiel

Starting Monday, Oct. 12, JFKMHS will be implementing a new hybrid learning plan to get students back into school. Staff members have been coming into the building gradually during the week of October 5 to prepare their classrooms for students who are coming back to school. Students will be split into two groups based on last name, and groups will rotate being in school and learning remotely on an A/B day schedule. There will also be a fully remote third group of students. Wednesdays will be asynchronous/fully remote days, during which the building will be cleaned and all students and staff will be attending school remotely.

In order to ensure the safety of both the students and faculty members, several procedures will be put in place. All students and staff are required to wear a face mask at all times. After each class, teachers and students will be responsible for wiping down the desks which will be situated 6 feet apart. There will be no lunch periods so that students cannot remove their masks, limiting the potential spread of Covid-19. COVID forms must be completed to ensure that no one in the building has symptoms of the Coronavirus. If a student or staff member does test positive, then the school must shut down for 2 weeks as a precaution. 

The new system will also be implemented on a delayed schedule. Blocks will be an hour long, with Block 0 classes going from 8:30 a.m. to 9:40 a.m. and Block 1 beginning at 9:45 a.m. There will be 5-minute passing breaks for all three groups of students to allow time for moving from class to class. Below is a full potential hybrid schedule.

10/12 – JFK Memorial Highschool

Office Hours: 7:30 a.m.—8:45 a.m.

B0: 8:30 a.m.—9:40 a.m.

B1: 9:45 a.m.—10:48 a.m.

B2: 10:53 a.m.—11:56 a.m.

B3: 12:01 p.m.—1:04 p.m.

B4: 1:09 p.m.—2:12 p.m.

As of Oct. 20, JFK students and staff are back on a fully remote schedule for two weeks (from Oct. 14- Oct. 28). Class times are as listed above.