Senior Spotlight: Mahrosh Naved

Selfie of senior Mahrosh Naved, Class of 2023 at JFKMHS

Mahrosh Naved

Zaima Mazumder, News Editor

Mahrosh Naved is a senior at John F. Kennedy Memorial High School. She moved to the U.S. from the U.A.E. in her freshman year and has learned plenty through her various experiences in a completely new environment. Growing up, she had a strong love for cats and now fosters them in her free time. Naved also has an influential passion for helping others and those in less fortunate situations. She is working toward becoming a doctor in the near future and is determined to make an impact in the world. Despite the challenges she faced after moving to the U.S., Naved is making the best out of her time at JFK and hopes to make lasting memories and friendships.

What three things do you want to improve on about yourself?

Mahrosh: Being confident in myself, being less indecisive and learning how to say no because I don’t say no as often as I should.

What gets you excited about the future?

Going to college with so many unlimited opportunities and things I can explore. I look forward to study abroad programs and I really want to go back to the U.A.E.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Broke, pre-med or med student, but I hope I have my things together by that time. 

What does becoming a doctor mean to you?

There’s this one verse in the Quran that says, “when you save one life, you save all of humanity,” and it’s always been on my mind. I want to get out there and help people and those who are in unfortunate situations and don’t have the same luxuries. A lot of people who immigrate don’t go back to their country, and then their countries are left behind. I want to help improve some of those situations.  

How have your interests changed over time in high school?

I now understand that I don’t like economics because I studied that and it wasn’t for me. It’s not only about what I like more, but also what I dislike; [economics] is something I couldn’t do in the future. I found out that I really like physics which I didn’t expect.

How did the pandemic affect your education? 

It definitely had a negative impact. I would lay in bed, I would fall asleep. I did get good grades but that was because I completed assignments, not because I learned something. I was especially excited about chemistry and fashion but wasn’t able to get the full experience which was disappointing. 

What do you prioritize the most in your life right now?

Spending time with family, getting good grades and getting into med school.

What inspired you to foster cats?

Cats have always been a part of my life. When I was back in Pakistan, I would have street cats and take care of them; [the cats] were so grateful. I wish more people would do it. In the fostering aspect, I wanted to try it out because as a kid, I would pretend to take care of my stuffed animals, so I’ve always had a thing for caring.

What is your proudest accomplishment from your high school years at JFK?

When I got into the honor societies like the science honor society, English honor society and French honor society; it made me proud of myself, not for other people.

What advice would you give to incoming freshmen?

Don’t be scared to be lost. Even as a junior, I got lost. You can take that [advice] mentally too, don’t be afraid to ask for help. I know it’s hard to make new relationships, but make friends and don’t try to fit into a cliche or group just to be popular; there is always that urge, but at the end of the day, it doesn’t help define who you are.