Senior Spotlight: Manali Patel

Manali Patel

Manali Patel, a passionate, devoted, driven, and hardworking individual who eagerly awaits graduation.

In a world brimming with potential, the younger generation continually strives to create a lasting impact. I had the privilege of sitting down with Manali Patel, a remarkable high school senior from John F. Kennedy Memorial High School, who is on the cusp of graduating and embarking on a new chapter in her life. Through this interview, we delve into Patel’s experiences, challenges, and aspirations, discovering her unwavering determination and passion that have propelled her to new heights.

The Final Stretch and Academic Discipline

Reflecting on her most challenging task as a senior, Patel shares her experience of the most recent semester, where staying on top of her academics has been paramount.

“I feel like it’s so surreal I am a graduating senior even though I’ve held that title for months as is,” Patel states. “I think now that I am in the second semester and already committed to college, it’s more of making sure I’m still committed and disciplined when it comes to my school work.”

Navigating Senioritis and Graduation Excitement

Exploring the concept of senioritis, Manali provides confirmation that, prior to her senior year, she thought it was an exaggeration or mere rumor. However, as she approached graduation, she realized its realistic nature.

“I see the environment all of us seniors are in, and we are just so eager to graduate and do senior events; our focus is mostly on that,” Patel mentions.

A Passion for Language and Cultural Connection

Patel is an active member of the French Honor Society, having taken French every year of her high school academic career. She chose French as some of her cousins are Canadian and reside in Montreal, and wanted a means to bond and converse with them more. Patel faced the challenges of learning a language during the pandemic, enduring numerous French classes over Zoom.

“I was fortunate enough to have the same French teacher every year, which doesn’t happen all the time. I think having her motivated me because I was so used to her learning style.”

This experience pushed Patel and made her eager to continue learning about the culture and language, eventually leading her to apply to the French Honor Society. She encourages students to continue language studies beyond the required years, highlighting the impact it had on her high school journey.

The Highlight of Senior Year: Unity and Love

When asked about the highlight of her senior year, Manali immediately recognizes the unity and love shared among her peers.

“Because we all know that we are leaving, I feel like we make it so much more of a priority to spend time together, and in doing that, we learned to squash any drama and just enjoy being with each other,” Patel expresses.

Finding Strength and Unity in Sports

In addition to her academic endeavors, Manali has been actively involved in the Girls Soccer Program throughout her four years at JFK. Although she didn’t have prior soccer experience, her teammates welcomed and supported her, helping her integrate seamlessly into the team. Reflecting on her growth, she remarks,

“At first, I was scared it was going to hold me back apart from the rest of the team, but to be honest, I was just really lucky to have such great teammates that helped me blend into the environment, even the underclassmen that would carry me on the field.”

This experience pushed Manali to become the best version of herself, fostering discipline, motivation, and drive. While she is saddened to bid farewell to the soccer program, she wishes her teammates the best of luck in the upcoming season.

Nurturing Academic Success and Parental Advice

Looking beyond Manali’s achievements on paper, she was given an icebreaker question about the advice her parents gave her that has been particularly beneficial. To our amusement, she reveals that her parents always emphasized the importance of eating while studying.

“Whenever I was studying for long periods of time, my parents would always come in offering food, claiming nourishment was important,” Patel states. “While those apple slices didn’t seem like a big deal at the time, ensuring that I was at my healthiest while working my hardest always worked in my favor.”

Advice for Incoming Freshmen and the Power of Involvement

Manali encourages incoming freshmen to stay involved in activities they are passionate about. She believes that her enjoyment of high school was greatly influenced by her participation in numerous clubs and activities.

“I just had so many clubs and activities that I had been a part of and I think that’s what made me enjoy high school so much,” Patel explains. “I met so many amazing people who are still my friends today, and I don’t know what I would do without them.”

Future Plans: Nursing Major and Dreams of Travel

Looking ahead, Manali plans to pursue a Nursing major in college and dreams of becoming a travel nurse in the future.

“I will be attending Rutgers New Brunswick School of Arts and Sciences. R U RAH RAH,” Patel proudly announced when asked about her choice of higher education. Manali’s commitment to the field of nursing remains unwavering, and she envisions herself continuing in this field ten years from now.

Time Management and Finding Balance

Reflecting on her high school experience, Manali acknowledges that one area she wishes she could have improved upon is time management and finding a better balance between her personal life and academic commitments. She recognizes the importance of maintaining a healthy work-life ethic and hopes to refine this skill as she transitions into college.

Emotions and Reflections

Describing her overall high school experience in one word, Manali chooses “euphoric.”

She reflects on the joy, growth, and friendships she formed throughout these transformative years.

As she prepares to embark on the next stage of life, Manali’s emotions can be summed up in one word as well: “exhilarating.” She eagerly embraces the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead, fueled by her passion and determination.  Patel is a young individual filled with resilience, ambition, and a zest for life. Through her commitment to academics, involvement in extracurricular activities, and dedication to her passion for languages and sports, Patel has carved a path of success and personal growth. As she embarks on her journey towards a nursing career and prepares to enter Rutgers New Brunswick School of Arts and Sciences, Patel’s unwavering spirit and drive will undoubtedly propel her to new heights. With her words of wisdom and reflections on her high school experience, she leaves a lasting impression as an inspiring role model for incoming students and a testament to the power of perseverance and following one’s passions.

We love and will miss you Manali!