Senior Spotlight: Rithika Saravanan

Rithika Saravanan attending the 2023 Senior Scholarship Awards ceremony after school. (Photo credit: Rithikas mother)

Rithika Saravanan attending the 2023 Senior Scholarship Awards ceremony after school. (Photo credit: Rithika’s mother)

Rithika Saravanan is an 18-year-old senior at John F. Kennedy Memorial High School. She is a dedicated, hard-working student and will be graduating this year as the Class of 2023 valedictorian. 

Describe your reaction when you found out that you were ranked at the top of your class in just three words.

Rithika: Thankful… proud… excited. 

What was the most interesting class you took in high school and why did it stand out to you?

My favorite class was AP Government and Politics. It was taught by Mr. Hill… and I thought he did an exceptional job, being that it was his first time even looking at the content and teaching the material. We also did a lot of debates in the class, which I think differentiated it from other classes… This was more so critical thinking, which I really loved, and I think it’ll be helpful in my future life.

What was the most rewarding extracurricular activity you were involved in?

With a couple of friends I met online, we started this organization called “Codia Education” where we helped underprivileged students in India receive education. Even though I only put two or three hours in it a day, it ended up helping over 700 children in poverty all across the world. We connected them with mentorships… some of them are going to college now… some of them are finally going to a school now, which before they were not provided.

What was the most challenging aspect of high school and how did you overcome it?

I think my most challenging aspect of high school, especially considering that a large part of it was online, was the fact that we could not physically go to school. So being that we were only seeing each other on screens… it demotivated a lot of people, including me. But I think the way I overcame it was by finding my passions. I found people with similar interests to me… I also connected with family members and friends… which I think still helped me stay in contact with the outside world.

Were there any teachers whom you felt impacted your high school experience the most, and if so, who were they?

I think the teachers that helped me the most throughout high school were Mr. Seavy, Mr. Graham, Mr. Hill… can’t forget Mr. Viteri… and so many more people who played a key part in how I was able to stay motivated throughout my high school career. 

How have you motivated yourself to excel academically throughout the past four years consistently?  

I tried to find my passions within each subject. In every subject, I didn’t take it as a way to get an “A”, but rather a way to learn… which I think helped me stay motivated to actually remember the material and learn it, rather than just to study it for a test and then forget it.

What is your favorite memory from high school?

I think my friend group really stayed strong throughout high school, which was a key part in how I was able to stay motivated and encouraged to actually come to school beyond just learning. I remember there were so many times during lunch ,or after school where I’d be walking with my friends, and we would just be talking about life. That really helped me ground myself and de-stress.

What was one of your greatest goals entering high school, and do you feel you achieved it?

I think one of my biggest goals was to become less shy and bring out my personality more when I’m talking to new people, and I think I slowly achieved that goal, even though I don’t think I’m fully there yet. Coming out of the pandemic, I was a lot more energetic and ready to meet new people, which I think helped me bring myself out of my shell and bring out my personality more.

What college and major do you plan to pursue after high school, and what made you choose this path?

I plan on going to Duke University… studying economics. What really intrigued me about economics… was how it affected everyday life. I could see how opportunity cost played out in whether I wanted to spend time for studying or going to a football game, and I saw how it can also affect my future life, whether I decide to go to college or start a job already. I think in the future too, it’ll help me think more clearly and make better decisions.

If you could give any piece of advice to a student aspiring to be valedictorian, what would it be?

Don’t have “becoming valedictorian” as your primary goal, rather, just have learning as your goal, and in that process you will be satisfied no matter what, even if you do not become valedictorian.