The Student News Site and Newsletter of John F. Kennedy Memorial High School

The Torch

The Torch

The Torch

Free Italian Ice at Rita’s on March 21

Hopelawns Ritas Ice will open for the season on March 1.
Diego Mazzara
Hopelawn’s Rita’s Ice will open for the season on March 1.

On Friday, March 1, Rita’s is reopening countrywide for the upcoming spring season after being closed for the duration of the winter.

Rita’s will be continuing their long-awaited tradition, since 1999, of giving out free ice for the first day of spring on March 21. This 25-year-long tradition is highly anticipated by locals and visitors alike who can’t wait to indulge in Rita’s wide variety of flavors.

According to its website, Rita’s most popular flavors include Mango and Cherry Italian Ice, but they have over 95 flavors making it easy for everyone to find something they enjoy. Rita’s also offers many other delicious treats like ice cream, custard, milkshakes and gelati.

The first Rita’s in Philadelphia was founded by Bob Timulo (a firefighter), in 1984. “ICE + CUSTARD + HAPPINESS” has been Rita’s ‘way of life.’ On Rita’s website, Rita’s has promised their customers “A friendly face, Made Fresh Daily, and Happiness.”

Fun Fact: Bob Timulo named Rita’s after his wife – Rita.

Nearby Locations:
-1111 Westfield Avenue, Rahway
-205 New Brunswick Avenue, Hopelawn

1
View Comments (1)