Gift Ideas and Traditions for the 2019 Holidays

public domain pictures

Christmas presents under tree

Bettina Kingsly and Sareena Khan

Christmas gift shopping is one of the most stressful times of the year. Are you struggling to find the perfect presents for your loved ones this holiday season? This month we have all the details on what you need to know about Christmas gift-giving. We’ve gathered data from all over J.F.K. Memorial High School as to what the best and worst presents are this season, including fun ways to get into the holiday spirit. 

Don’t Gift These!

We asked students what the worst present they’ve ever received for Christmas was and got some very creative answers. Many people mentioned getting socks or uncomfortable clothing. One student told us a riveting story about how her brothers used a Peppa Pig stuffed animal to taunt her; this was because according to them, she looked like the cartoon character when she laughed. Another terrible present someone received was a broken drone, with a broken box and shattered camera. 

Best Gifts This Year

This holiday season, students have also given us the inside scoop on what the hottest present ideas are. The majority of students said they want a new phone, specifically the new iPhone 11 that recently came out in late September. Others said they wanted a polaroid camera, Uggs, and branded clothing such as Brandy Melville, Nike, Balenciagas, etc. Some said they would prefer money and gift cards over other gifts because they can choose what they want.a

“I would rather get money from everyone than a gift because its simple, and I could buy what I want rather than someone choosing it for me,” a JFKMHS senior explained. 

Holiday Traditions

As the years go by, Christmas traditions never fade away, such as listening to holiday music, decorating your home and baking some seasonal goodies with your family. 

“I think the best way to get into the holiday spirit is lighting a candle. Peppermint or gingerbread scents remind you of Christmas and make you feel cozy,” a sophomore in the art class described. After interviewing many students, however, they all collectively agree that listening to Christmas songs and carols is the best way to get into the holiday spirit.

We hope that you learned some new tips for Christmas shopping in the future. There’s more to Christmas than the presents, it’s the joy of the season and the amazing songs that come with it.