The Student News Site and Newsletter of John F. Kennedy Memorial High School

The Torch

The Torch

The Torch

Superbowl 2024: Most Anticipated Movie Trailers

Yeah, yeah. You might have missed a few of these while you were on a bathroom break but don’t sweat it, The Torch has you covered!
Bryce Tarnowski
2024 Super Bowl presented viewers with many new and exciting movie trailers (Photo Illustration).

Many of us watch the Super Bowl just for the sake of football, but there are those cinema “freaks” who come for the trailers.

Yeah, yeah, I admit I am one of them, but the trailers are always so highly anticipated when they drop; they’re exciting when we generally don’t know when they’ll pop up throughout the Bowl. All we really know is that we’ll get it sometime during the course of the event. Let me tell you,  we got very exciting trailers during 2024 Super Bowl.

Below are all the movie trailers you might have missed and I’ll go in depth with all of them.

“Deadpool & Wolverine”

My favorite movie trailer from the Super Bowl was Deadpool & Wolverine because of Ryan Reynolds. He’s funny, attractive, and it’s just very good to see him back in action.

— Ajayveer Singh (JFKMHS Student)

And he did it again! The man himself, Ryan Reynolds is back in the third movie of the “Deadpool” trilogy. “Deadpool 3,” or the official title being “Deadpool & Wolverine”, hits the big screen on July 26. There are many big expectations coming along with this movie.

Hugh Jackman AKA our furry mutant friend, Wolverine is set to make a return; however, this teaser makes us ask many questions that we do not have answers for. As seen in production images, we see stars like Reynolds and Jackman alongside one another. They’re clearly filming scenes for the movie but this teaser leaves a blank canvas for fans. We have yet to depict whether Jackman is reprising his role as the “Wolverine.”

“Logan” (2017) left off with Jackman’s Wolverine bidding farewell to his role and to the Marvel Universe as well. As seen in the teaser, we have different shots of Wolverine but no accurate depiction of Jackman. It could be on purpose as we have had this same particular situation go on with the “Spider-Man: No Way Home” trailer successfully hiding Garfield’s and Maguire’s Spider-Man’s to keep the hype real for fans. Obviously this movie is to be taken after the events of “Deadpool 2” where we have the “Merc with a Mouth” time traveling.

There’s just so much hype around this movie that many believe it is enough to keep Marvel alive after the past disappointing drops we’ve been seeing from them.

Can Reynolds alone save the MCU from its failures? In fact, Deadpool is “Marvel Jesus” which is something he actually says in this teaser. Yup, mhm, he’s a 4th wall breaker.

“Kung Fu Panda 4”

Jack Black is back, baby! Oh wait. I mean not only is Black back, our dragon warrior Po slices into action once again in “Kung Fu Panda 4.”  Just up above is a little teaser of a clip that will be in the actual film itself. It includes our protagonist Po who is being “violently” attacked by 3 little bunnies. The fox you see in this clip, Zhen, is a new character who will be taking the spot that was once Po’s, “The Dragon Warrior”.

This shifts the focus from Po’s journey to Zhen’s revealing that Po’s story will have concluded after this movie. This gives so many opportunities for DreamWorks to expand their movie verse and give Zhen—the new supporting character—movies along with the continuation of the Kung Fu Panda universe.  This is an exciting time to be alive for movie fans to experience the nostalgic journey once again in the good ol’ movie theaters or at home of course!

“A Quiet Place: Day One”

It’s back to square one! “A Quiet Place” is back, this time to sit you down and tell you how it all started. These vicious creatures, as seen in the trailer, casually drop onto earth in what seems to be inside of meteorites and begin their spread of violence. Obviously, New York City is one of the noisiest metropolis on the globe, and these monsters have very keen sets of ears. They’re blind and only use their ears to track their prey, so it’s interesting to see how the movie will play out. We’ll only know how they go down when the movie releases globally. The release date is set for June 28, 2024.

Fun fact! This movie is actually the franchise’s first spin off; it’s always good to have these movies expand their lore further. After this movie, the franchise could expand more if the film has a good number in the box office. Oh, and just be sure to keep the noise down. Shhhh.

“Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes”

Apes hunt humans? Everything in this trailer looks absolutely fantastic. Directed by director Wes Bell, his first movie in the franchise, and it’s set many many years after Reeves’ trilogy. The latest installment of “The Planet of the Apes” franchise will premire in theaters on May 20.

“Inside Out 2”

“A new emotion, wow!” (Insert sigma Homelander edit here). Inside Out 2″ brings on a lot more for our emotions to comprehend. Joy, anger, sadness, disgust and fear are joined in by four brand new emotions. Anxiety, the orange-hued character is brought to life by the one and only Maya Hawke from the “Stranger Things” series. There’s Ennui, the embodiment of boredom and Embarrassment, the teal and terrified new emotion for our main character Riley. Finally, we have our pink and sparkly character Envy!

An image of teen Riley with the four brand new emotions.

This is movie is going to hit home for teenagers that are constantly developing and changing. The first film was a hit and this movie will dive deep into the process of puberty and how it affects teens. The sequel will take a step further and explore Riley in depth while she faces these new emotions head on. Years after the previous movie, many people are excited to take their seat in theaters and have a watch. Face your emotions in theaters coming this summer on June 14.

“Wicked”

This Thanksgiving, Fmake way for one of the most successful Broadway musicals of the 21st century. The long-awaited “Wicked” film is full of icons! Famous actors like Ariana Grande (Glinda) to Cynthia Erivo (Elphaba) are starring in this movie. Special showings will be presented in IMAX on November 27.

“Despicable Me 4”

Let’s go on another adventure with these little yellow loads of fun! Despciable me 4 stars the great Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, Sofia Vergara, Chloe Fineman and Joey King. Gru, our super villain turned hero, and Lucy (his love interest), have a new addition to the Gru family. Please welcome, Gru Jr.!

Gru and Lucy’s new addition to the family, Gru Jr. Someone tell me i’m not the only one who thinks Gru Jr. looks like Jack-Jack from “The Incredibles.”

However, with all peaceful things comes a very slow conclusion when our new villains Maxime Le Mal (Ferrell) and his girlfriend Valentina escape from prison and hunt our lovable Gru down. Catch out this action-packed comedy this July 3 and don’t forget to bring your freeze ray. Just don’t let anyone see you carrying it.

“The Fall Guy”

The “literally me phenomenon” stays alive, Ryan Gosling is back in a brand new movie called, “The Fall Guy.” This movie doesn’t only feature Gosling but also, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Emily Blunt and Hannah Waddingham. “The Fall Guy” follows our main character, Colt Seavers (Ryan Gosling) who is a longtime stuntman where he’s working on a movie produced by his ex-girlfriend, Jody Moreno (Emily Blunt). Seavers is assigned to find a movie star who’s gone missing, (Aaron Taylor-Johnson). It already gives off “Bladerunner 2049” vibes with Officer K who is tasked to find a missing person (Harrison Ford). Give this movie a watch when released, you won’t regret it. “The Fall Guy” premires in theaters May 3.

What is your favorite movie trailer from Super Bowl 2024?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.