Senior Spotlight: Aroosha Irfan

Senior+Aroosha+Irfan+is+excited+to+graduate+and+go+to+college.+

Senior Aroosha Irfan is excited to graduate and go to college.

Aroosha Irfan is currently a senior at JFK Memorial High School.Throughout high school, Irfan has been incredibly involved, as a part of National Honor Society, English Honor Society, and Science Honor Society, as well as various clubs and activities such as backstage crew, American Cancer Society, and many more. After high school, Irfan plans on attending Barnard University for biology and medicine and hopes to become a doctor in the future. 

Being one of the only people from our school going to Barnard Columbia, how do you feel about going somewhere new with no connections?

Aroosha: It’s a bit bittersweet going somewhere new. I’m really sad to leave all my friends at JFK because I’ve grown up with all of these people. But, I’m also excited for a fresh start in college and to meet new people in a different environment. 

How do you think your friendships have changed you from freshman year to senior year? 

In freshman year, I was really introverted and stuck with the same group of people that I was friends with all throughout middle school. But, in junior year, I started talking to more people and they helped me get out of my comfort zone. 

What is one quote that means a lot to you? Why? 

“I’m always wondering about the what-ifs, about the road not taken” by Jenny Han. I saw this quote written in a cafe and it was something that I knew I wanted to live by. I have learned to always take the risk because I don’t want to be left wondering what would have happened if I did not do the task. 

What is the biggest challenge you have faced in your high school career? 

Learning how to manage my time was definitely a big challenge. In middle school and freshman and sophomore year, I didn’t have to study much and was able to do anything. Once junior year hit, taking all these hard classes and balancing extracurriculars got much harder. 

As the oldest of 3 siblings, how do you feel about striving to be a good role model for your siblings? Does this ever affect the way you behave, both outside and inside school? 

Being the oldest sibling comes with the responsibility of being a good role model. I strive to work hard and excel academically to show my siblings the importance of education and achievement. But, the pressure to constantly set a positive example does sometimes feel overwhelming and I sometimes worry about falling short of expectations.

What is the most rewarding club/activity/sport that you were involved in at JFK?

Backstage crew was one of the most rewarding clubs that I was involved in at JFK. It gave me valuable skills and experiences but also let me connect with my closest friends who were involved in it as well. Working behind the scenes during the play means being under a lot of pressure, to make sure that everything runs smoothly and seamlessly during performances. But, it’s really satisfying watching it all come together at the end.

Where do you see yourself in the next 10 years? 

In college, I’m planning on majoring in biology on the pre-med track. In 10 years, hopefully I have finished medical school and am pursuing residency in my desired field. 

What is your favorite memory from high school? 

One of my favorite memories from high school undoubtedly revolves around the electric atmosphere and exhilarating experiences of the football games held every Friday. The anticipation and excitement that built up throughout the week were palpable, uniting the entire school community in a shared sense of pride and enthusiasm.

What is the number one thing on your bucket list? Why? 

The number one thing on my bucket list is to study abroad in Dubai in college. I visited when I was 6 but I don’t remember much. The prospect of immersing myself in a completely different culture and experiencing a vibrant city known for its modernity and diversity is so thrilling.

Who will you miss most from high school? 

One person I’ll miss most from high school is Ms. Sienk. I had her for AP Bio and Anatomy. She made the lessons taught in class very interesting with her personality. She was the one who affirmed for me that I wanted to pursue a career in medicine.