Senior Spotlight: Akiva Lewis-Allen

Akiva on the track warming up before our senior night football game.

Akiva Lewis-Allen is an 18-year-old senior at John F. Kennedy Memorial High School. He is most known for being a very sociable cheerleader. In this interview, we get to know how Akiva feels about his high school friends and career. 

What is one thing you would tell your freshman self?

Stop being so scared of everyone and stop making it seem like you don’t like anyone. Also, don’t be afraid to be yourself, just “do you” because nobody else really cares, and if they do, then that’s a “them” problem. 

What do you plan on doing after high school?

Go to college at Middlesex Community College for liberal arts and psychology. I plan on hopefully getting to start taking acting classes so that I can become an actor, and also get into psychology so that maybe I can be a part-time therapist. Psychology has always been a part of my life. 

What do you regret not doing in high school?

Not cheering freshman year. I could have made a much better bond with people if I started cheer freshman instead of sophomore year. I also regret not opening myself up to other people and making more friends because then I feel like maybe high school wouldn’t feel so lonely. 

What made you try out for the cheer team?

Feeling lonely was definitely a big part of it and I wanted to get back into sports. Since I was a kid, I’ve always played sports. It wasn’t until middle school that I stopped doing sports, but I picked sports back up with cheer my sophomore year. 

What did it feel like being the only boy on the cheer team?

It was really weird, not gonna lie, very weird because some of the conversations that would go on you’d wonder whether or not you’re allowed to listen. I would just stand there awkwardly while everybody is commenting on topics that have to do with womanhood. 

Any advice for boys wanting to try out for the cheer team?

Honestly, don’t be scared. Ms. Szoke is one of the nicest coaches you’ll ever meet and she’s very accommodating and easy to talk to, and she’s very sympathetic and empathetic. Really, just don’t be afraid to form bonds with the girls on the team. If there are topics that you are not too sure about, ask questions. Talk to your coaches, talk to your teammates, have them help you find a way through because at the end of the day, you’re all in it together. 

What do you wish you did differently in high school? 

Procrastinate. I wish I did not procrastinate as much as I did, but I mean, I didn’t procrastinate too hard. But also, like I said before, I wish I had made more bonds with people so that it wouldn’t be such a lonely experience throughout high school. 

What is one thing you will miss about high school?

Definitely my teammates and the friends that I made here, and especially some of the teachers because some of the teachers here really helped me through a lot of the hard times, especially during junior year. I can say I will miss the guidance office and all the guidance counselors, especially Ms. Blauvelt because she’s basically my bestie for real. 

If you could repeat any year of high school what would it be and why?

Freshman year, simply for the fact of all the drama that went around that I was not part of, so it was entertaining. [I was able to] just listen to bits and pieces here and there, but then I was able to take those bits and pieces of information and learn from them, and do differently than they did in those situations when it comes to me.